Chicken General Tao
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Ingredients for the Sauce
60 mL (¼ cup) sugar
60 mL (¼ cup) pastry flour
Maison Orphée Sunflower oil for cooking, for frying
1. In a bowl, whip together all ingredients. Reserved (up to 2 days in the refrigerator, if desired).
1. Fill a large bowl with ice. Reserved.
2. In a smaller stainless steel or glass bowl, pour the flour and cornstarch and make a hole in the center. Pour beer and soy sauce and whip vigorously. Place bowl of tempura batter in the bowl of ice.
Rest of the preparation:
1. Heat the sunflower oil in the fryer to 175 C (350 F). Preheat oven to 100 C (200F) .
2. Coat the chicken with tempura batter. Fry 6 to 8 pieces of chicken at a time, about 5 minutes or until browned and crispy. Drain on paper towels and keep it warm in the oven.
3. In a wok or large skillet, sauté the peppers and the white part of green onions in the sesame oil. Lightly salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the vegetables and cook, stirring until boiling. Adjust the seasoning. Add chicken and stir to coat. Garnish with green part of green onions. Serve on jasmine rice and with steam snap peas.
- For an easier recipe, use the tempura batter already prepared
- The cooking oil can be reused 4 to 6 times. Once cooled filter the oil and transfer into an airtight container and keep preferably in the refrigerator or freezer.
- To know: to slow deterioration of the cooking oil, add some fresh oil each time you reused it (about 10 to 15% of total volume).
The chicken can be replaced in whole or in part with firm tofu cubes well disgorged. In order to do so, place the cubes in between two plates lined with paper towel and put a weight, like a big can on the top plate. Let drain for at least 30 minutes